Michael D. Falater is an associate practicing in the Firm’s litigation department where he focuses on personal injury defense.
Raised in Phoenix, Arizona, Mike graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Urban, Rural, and Environmental Planning and a minor in Communications. Mike earned his Juris Doctorate from the S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah in 2011. During law school, Mike was a Legal Extern for Justice Ronald Nehring of the Utah Supreme Court, a William H. Leary Scholar, and a Lionel Frankel Fellow. He was also an articles editor for the Utah Law Review. Prior to joining Hutchison & Steffen, Mike worked at a litigation firm in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he defended employers, hospitals, and transportation companies. He has also defended individual insureds in simple to complex motor vehicle accidents. Mike is admitted to practice in both federal and state courts in Nevada.
Outside of work, Mike loves spending time with his wife and four daughters. He enjoys sports, especially the Vegas Golden Knights. He also serves on the Board of the Children’s Advocacy Center Foundation, providing advocacy and fundraising for abused and neglected children in Southern Nevada.
- Obtained a result below a prior offer of judgment at arbitration, where the plaintiff claimed a broken foot as a result of a motor vehicle accident. Resgonia-Delgado v. A Cab, Case No.: A-19-786800-C (Las Vegas, Nev. 2019).
- Court dismissed case following an evidentiary hearing, finding that the parties had previously reached a settlement, which was disputed by plaintiff. Chavez v. A Cab, Case No. A-18-779415-C (Las Vegas, Nev. 2018).
- Assisted in multi-day jury trial, where plaintiff claimed injury following a motor vehicle accident. The plaintiff disputed the settlement he made at the scene of the accident. The jury found that the settlement was enforceable against the plaintiff.
- Arbitrator found in favor of Mike’s client on cross-claims between two defendants, receiving an award of $8,500 for property damage and loss of use. Lockett v. On Demand Sedan, Case No.: A-16-742807-C (Las Vegas, Nev. 2016).
- Arbitrator found in favor of Mike’s client and against plaintiff, awarding cab company’s property damage, when plaintiff claimed injury from a car accident. Hernandez-Tamayo v. Lucky Cab, Case No.: A-15-722934-C (Las Vegas, Nev. 2015).
- A one-day jury trial where the plaintiff claimed Mike’s client caused property damage to her vehicle which resulted in it being totaled. Mike was successful in defending the claim with the jury finding in Mike’s client’s favor. Garcia v. Tadesse, Case No.: A677215 (Las Vegas, Nev. 2012).